Saturday, August 4, 2012

Meeting My Soulmate

Five years ago this month is my fifth wedding anniversary.  My sweetheart and I found each other on the New Order Mormon message board.  We sent our first emails on Valentines Day 2007.  We carried on a long-distance relationship, flying to see each other as often as we could afford, until we were married later that year.  While driving back home to Colorado after our honeymoon, I received and accepted a job offer in California.  Less than a month after we were married, we were together in California

My wife and I have so many important things in common that it seemed unreal when we first started discovering this.  We are both former Mormons and both of us were divorced by our former spouses when we could no longer accept all the beliefs of that faith. We are both accomplished musicians.  We both love to read and listen to audio books.  We both love to learn.  She also has two bachelor's degrees and recently finished a master's degree.  I was intrigued when we first started writing that her degrees were in psychology and sociology and yet she taught high school math and had also taught chemistry, band, and choir.  When I was a freshman in college and first heard of the concept of a renaissance man, I decided that's what I wanted to be.  It was exciting to find a real renaissance woman with interests as diverse as my own and with so much overlap.

Our common interests are not the best part.  The best part is that she is so genuinely kind and compassionate with nothing but the best intentions toward every living creature.  That would have been enough even if we did not share so many interests.  We share a deep emotional bond because our experiences growing up affected us so similarly.  We can each empathize with the other in almost any situation.

After five years we are still deeply in love.  It has felt like one long honeymoon since the day we were married.  After my first marriage, I did not know that this was possible.  Life can be surprising.

No comments:

Post a Comment